Monday 16 March 2015

Weekly Recap

Last week was Hell at the Real Job, but writing was steady. I managed to decide the fate of Path of the Horseman and make further progress on the Bond novella (Project Immortality). Here's what else I got done:

Continue Bond novella (Project Immortality)
• Send Path of the Horseman out for review
• Prep Path of the Horseman for pre-order and release

This week I have a lot of catching up to do, given that there are so many open submissions due at the end of April and I want to make sure I take my shot for all of them. I've also got the first round of edits back for Cursed: Demon's Daughter and will have to start those soon. I also just got the proof back for Path of the Horseman and will have to check that out. So here are my plans:

Complete Bond novella (Project Immortality)
• Begin open submission calls
• Look over and begin Cursed: Demon's Daughter edits
• Review proof of Path of the Horseman and return to BookBaby

Lots to do, and little time to do it in! But Bond is going really, really well, and I'm getting close to the final battle. The next submission I'm working on involves a concept I really like, though I need to slow down and think about what I want to work with for a plot before I run headlong into it.

In other cool news, I've been getting some great reviews for released short stories!

This from a customer review of That Hoodoo, Voodoo, That You Do: "Secret Suicide by Amy Braun will definitely appeal to Anime fans, as well as to lovers of Japanese and Japanese-themed horror and fantasy. As one such fan, I'll just say that after reading the story I got the sudden urge to re-watch one or two of my favourite Animes. A delightful gem of a tale."

And this one was from fellow author Jake Elliot, who chose my story as part of his review of AMOK! as one of this top five favorites!: "I’m fascinated with extra-planar possessions and this story reminded me of the original The Exorcist. The twist though is in Dark Intentions and Blood, Amy Braun shows us our world from the demon’s point of view. It’s an absolute candy store. The total joy and freedom this demon expresses on its violent rampage through town is visceral and compelling. I could almost feel the burn of holy water on my skin as I read."

This is so wonderful to hear, and I'm deeply humbled by the reviews. Hopefully more will come for future work! It definitely helps boost one's confidence in a field famous for constant rejection.

http://www.amazon.com/That-Hoodoo-Voodoo-You-Anthology-ebook/dp/B00SQG9FFQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422280403&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=that+hoohoo+voodoo# http://www.amazon.com/dp/0993718019/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_2Evlub0T5QQZG

Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty confident that I can start conquering my projects. Obviously the Real Job will get in the way, but there's a bonus to feeling overwhelmed– I know I can handle it. The major difference is that this is the kind of pressure I want. It will keep me going and working hard to cross more projects off my list and move forward with others, getting more work out there and building my reputation. There's nowhere else to go but up!

Hope you have a great week!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment