Saturday 11 October 2014

Reckless Future

Who doesn't love reading a bad body romance every now and again? Okay, I admit it's not my usual genre, but I was really intrigued by Carolyn Crane's Disillusionists trilogy that I couldn't resist adding the epilogue novella Devil's Luck to my reading list. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, since I always found Simon to be way too cocky for his own good (though it was obviously Crane's intention to write him that way), and I liked his character more when I began to discover the secrets that made him the way he is. It was a quick, sexy read

I always loved Simon's sexy tattoos.
No wager is too outrageous for Simon Fitzgerald, the most reckless of the Disillusionists. His dark secrets drive him to take increasingly extreme risks, but he’s never lived so quite so dangerously as when he hooks up with Midcity’s most powerful prognosticator. 

Most of the Disillusionists series isn't what I would call heavily action based. Sure there are intense moments with telekinetics and sleepwalking cannibals (yes, sleepwalking cannibals), but the action in this novella seemed to be more prominent than the full length novels. But again, that proved to be a well thought out intention, which made the read even more exciting.

Given the length of the story, I was surprised at how complicated every situation was. Devil's Luck was more than your generic stubborn-guy-falls-for-stubborn-girl story. Simon had a complexity to him that was never made apparent in the other Disillusionists novels, and it was a lot of fun to understand that he had reasons for being as foolhardy and reckless as he is.

On the other end of the spectrum, Fawna was a very interesting character. I loved watching her break the mold in the wildest way possible with a man she merely tolerated before. She was a small character in the third Disillusionists story, and by the end of the novella I wanted to know more about her past. There seemed like a lot more to tell there.

Devil's Luck is a fast-paced, passionate short story filled with twists and turns, and moments where you think "What the hell are they thinking?!" followed by: "That was so badass." The novella works well as a standalone, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants more action and wildness in their romantic reads.

Cheers!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment