Saturday 27 September 2014

Armageddon On Its Way

I love Nephilim stories. They're one of my favorite mythological creatures mostly due to what they represent and how they can be viewed. Needless to say that I was very excited to start Thomas E. Sniegoski's The Fallen series. I got so much more than I expected, and now that I've completed the fourth novel on the series, Forsaken, I'm eager to finish this review to start the final book. Because this little author/reader is driven mad by cliffhangers. Since this novel sets the stage for what I know will be an epic finale, I'll be putting a spoiler warning into effect. If you want to begin the series not knowing what to expect (and trust me, you do), I'll tell you that every single book in The Fallen series has been an explosive ride from start to finish. The action is intense, the enemies incredibly dangerous, the mythology deep, and the characters interesting. I love these books, and think you will to. Now, onto the details...

No complaints about this cover... ;)
Half angel and half human, Aaron holds the weight of the world in his hands in the fourth book of the New York Times bestselling The Fallen series.

The war between Heaven and Hell rages on. The devil has possessed Lucifer's body and is intent on unleashing unfathomable chaos in the world. But no matter the cost, Aaron and the other Nephilim are determined to protect humanity.

As the casualties mount around them, Aaron and his beloved Vilma's loyalty and faith will be tested. And in this next installment of The Fallen series, they're out to prove that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...


So, as you can see, the stakes are kinda high. And that's one thing that's kept me hooked on The Fallen series from the beginning. Yeah, Aaron and his fellow Nephilim warriors are certifiable badasses, but just when you think they can't go up an enemy more dangerous than the last one they faced, Sniegoski creates a force of evil so terrifying that it makes fighting past enemies look like a walk in the park.

This enemy, known as Satan or Darkstar, a mockery of the not-so-bad-after-all Lucifer, is someone I'm still not sure Aaron will be able to defeat (I'm glaring at you, cliffhanger). And even if he does, it's crushingly clear that the remainder of Aaron's friends may survive the final encounter.

When I read stories with angels, demons, and creatures of the biblical nature, I want epic battles with devastating monsters, and heroes with incredible powers to fight them no matter what the cost. This is exactly what I got in Forsaken. I was left on the edge of my seat for most of the book, reading furiously and hoping everyone would make it out alive.

The story is as unique and as interesting as every other in the series, and while you can read Forsaken on its own, this is the kind of book where background information is needed and definitely preferred. There is a lot of mythology, and it deserves to be appreciated. 

All the characters are different from one another, and it will be fun to see where final alliances are drawn. Aaron is a terrific leader, and it's great to watch him battle with his darker, more powerful side. I'm a huge fan of his love interest, Vilma, though I'm being driven a little insane by her love triangle with Aaron and the more rebellious, dangerous Jeremy. I was rooting for Aaron and Vilma from the start, and really want to know if a prediction in a previous novel will come true.

Sniegoski is a fantastic writer with the ability to create epic visuals. I pictured every battle clearly in my mind, his descriptions helping to draw on the reader's imagination while maintaining his own distinctive vision.

I'm so glad I'm about to start on the final book in the series, Armageddon, because I don't know if I could stand to see Aaron and the Nephilim go through one more backbreaking trial. One way or another, the final battle will begin, and I can't wait to see what Aaron is willing to do to save the world for the last time. A highly recommended read to anyone who enjoyed the Mortal Instruments series or any kind of epic fiction. After all, I think it's clear now more than ever that angels aren't the gentle, chubby kids history used to paint them as. No, they're fierce protectors and deadly warriors– just the way I like them.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment