Saturday 24 May 2014

Quick Vampire Troubles

After some minor malfunctions with my e-reader, I finally finished Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris, the eleventh book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. It was everything I expected for a series that continues to be fun, exciting, and a (mostly) different change of pace for me.

I don't like pink, but I like this cover.
The story opens with someone firebombing Merlotte's Bar and Grill. Sookie suspects another supernatural is behind the attack, but Sookie never has just one problem. The second one is that her lover Eric Northman and his progeny Pam are looking to take out Victor Madden, a vampire who would love nothing more than to see Eric and everyone he loves destroyed. Minor spoilers ahead!

There were some good loose ends that were tied up, including the final resolution of Sandra Pelt and Victor Madden. One of the best parts in the story was the development of the vampire Pam. She's always been one of my favorite characters, because she's an excellent, tough, loyal vampire. It was interesting to see what a distressed Pam is like. There was a lot more in reference to the history of the fae and Sookie's grandmother's connection to them. In the grand scheme of things, I think the firebombing took second place to everything else, which surprised me a little. It was an explosive opening (almost literally) and I thought more would come from it in the end.

Sookie remains as interesting as ever, and she's a character who continues to change. With every book I can see her maturity growing. She's much different now than she was in the first book when Bill came into her life.

Harris continues to deliver fun, interesting, and complicated drama in her acclaimed series. I'll admit that the books would appeal more to a female audience, though there is enough action that the male crowd can enjoy them too. I was a little hesitant to read them at first because I tend to keep away from dramatic romance novels that don't have a heavy action center, but like I said before, I'm having a great time reading the Sookie Stackhouse books. Only two more to go until the series is completed, and I'm very excited to see how it ends.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment