Tuesday 31 December 2013

The Upcoming Year: 2014

It's hard to tell what 2014 will bring the world. As far as I'm aware, there's no apocalypse on the way (relax, Rapturists!), so I think I might be able to achieve my goals for the year! There aren't too many that I'll list because I don't want to overwhelm myself more than usual.

The biggest thing I want to accomplish:

• I want to complete Cursed: Dark Divinity.

At time of writing this post, the sequel is on its second chapter. I'd like to have the complete first draft done and most of the edits finished. In the same vein, I want to start the final chapter in the trilogy, which I can tell you is called Damnation's Door. As much as I love writing Cursed, working with the mythology and writing Constance and Dro, I'm not an author who wants to be tied down to one story. I already know how I'm going to end the series, and Cursed was never a project I wanted to carry on for a long time.

The professional goal I want to accomplish:

• To have one short story published in an anthology, online magazine, or on someone else's blog.

I'm thankful to have gotten good reviews on SilverPen and to have other readers and authors genuinely enjoy what I write, but I would like a little more professional recognition by the end of the year. Just enough to show agents and editors when I submit a story. Which leads me to...

The dream goal:

• Have one story accepted and published, whether by a professional company or by self-publishing.

Don't get me wrong– I'm not going to try and hit a home run when I don't have a bat. I'm aware of my skill level and that there are other thousands of other authors like me out there who have been working at this much longer than I have. Being said, I've always been a dreamer. More experienced and slightly jaded writers will probably say I'm being naive, especially this early in my career, but if I don't dream about being published then I'm simply not going to be. 

So those are my new years resolutions! I know how hard it is to stick to them but just remember, I believe in you! In case you were wondering, yes, I am that corny, and no, I'm not drunk yet.

Happy New Year!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment