Thursday 5 March 2015

Progress Report

Not as much to report on as previous posts, but news all the same. I've completed and sent in my Nyx submission. It was a lot more work than I thought, but I followed the guidelines and am ultimately proud of the story I wrote. The only thing I'm nervous about is the word count. I couldn't find restrictions on it, so my story clocked in at over 11,000 words. Right now, I'm just going to wait. Received or rejected, I tried new writing techniques and had a lot of fun with it.

Right now, I'm working on Project Immortality, my Bond Unknown novella. Despite my nervousness about the story, I have to say that it's going smoothly. James Bond is one of those characters who is plastered all over the internet. Need to know what kind of smokes Bond likes? Found it. Want to know what guns he's carried between novels? Found it. Want to know what kind of food he eats? Found that out too. Want to know what kind of underwear he wears? Well, I'm not going to use it, but I bet you could find that one out too.

As I write Project Immortality, I'm coming up with new ideas that I think will make it feel more like the Bond/horror/paranormal vibe I'm going for. As an example, in the current scene I'm writing, Bond and his sexy partner are about to enter the Catacombs of Marcellinus and Peter in Rome, which hold over a thousand skeletons, some still wearing togas, can be found. "What are they doing there", you ask? "Wouldn't you like to know?" I grin.

There was a moment yesterday when I kind of stuttered in continuing. I write at a nearby Starbucks before I go to work (they know me by order and by name by now, so I'm just waiting for the day they ask me what I'm typing so furiously on my phone), but I had to come to a halt because I hadn't looked at the exterior of the catacombs before describing them. I write by the seat of my pants, but I'm also pretty linear. Distressed that I couldn't go on for the day (phones might have internet, but not exactly a prime research tool), I started thinking of something else I could write in the meantime. I finally came up with an idea for an open submission sent to my by my best friend: Ghost In The Cogs. Long story short: Two thieves on a train that has been overtaken by ghosts and possessed the conductor. Should be a lot of fun, and will be one of my next projects once Project Immortality is done.

Also, a final note on the publishing progress of Path of the Horseman. I have one more option I would like to check out before I come to a concrete decision. That choice is a company called Publishizer, which looks legit and could be a great jumping off point. That being said, it's an idea that seems too good to be true. I've done my research and they don't sound like a scam, but I like opinions. Leave your thoughts in the comments, if you please. 

So that's all for now! Hope everyone is enjoying their week! Cheers! 

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment