Sunday 14 December 2014

Sunday Snippet

Time once again for the Sunday Snippet for WeWriWa aka #8sunday! Last week was from Dark Fury, the fourth Areios Brothers novel, but while that series is on hold for a little while, I thought I would share a piece of what's coming for my newest trilogy, Dark Sky, my next project while I clear my head and wait for inspiration to come back to me for the Areios Brothers. I'm going on vacation for Christmas, so I'll have time to think it through then before I restart the series in January.

Anyway, Dark Sky is a steampunk trilogy revolving around an engineer and a sky pirate crew trying to survive/defeat the monstrous vampiric creatures known as Hellions. I sent a test short out for a Mocha Memoir anthology open submission and received a note that it was enjoyed, but since it was hard to tell how the final book will tell out, and a story with vampires and pirates is pretty out there, I didn't get a confirmation. Having said that, my devious plan is to write this trilogy anyway, and maybe it will be accepted separately. One can hope, right?

So, here's a little teaser: the first eight sentences of the first novel: Crimson Sky.

---


         “Are they close?” Abby whispered.
         I held my breath and watched the six skiffs chug out of the Behemoth, spreading in various directions.
         “I don’t know yet,” I muttered back. “But we’re about to find out.”
         My heart pounded every time I saw them. I had been eight years old when they appeared in the sky, shrouded by smoky clouds and illuminated by angry lightning. I still didn’t know where they had come from, but I chose not to care. Even ten years later, I couldn’t forgot the thunder that exploded through the sky, almost signaling them to descend in their hellish skiffs to steal anyone they set their eyes on. Those who resisted were slaughtered, torn to shreds by demons with black, razor teeth, onyx claws, and blood-red eyes. 
 
---

And that's my project! Pretty cool, huh? It was a lot of fun to come up with the secrets and plans for these new characters and monsters. I'm still working out a couple kinks, but writing has been solid so far. My weekend starts tomorrow, so I'll be able to give the story my full attention then. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!

Amy

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I am definitely intrigued! I'm wondering what Abby's role is going to be in this new story. Dun dun dun....

    Just as a sidenote, I wanted to let you know that your linkylink over at wewriwa.com is not working. I had to guess what the link should have been to find you. I just wanted you to know in case something needed to be fixed (if it even can be).

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It wasn't working last time I tried either, but hopefully next week won't have any issues. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds very scary; it's a great opening. I think vampires and pirates sound awesome! Some people- sheesh. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely been a lot of fun to write so far. ;)

      Delete