Thursday 14 August 2014

Coming Soon: Needfire

Next Tuesday, my very first self-published e-Novella, Needfire, will be released. I'm super excited (and a little nervous) about its release, but at the same time it will be great to know that I've published something on my own. I confess– I'm looking forward to seeing it on Kobo/Amazon.

So to get prepped for the release, I thought I'd share a little more about the story, how I came up with it, and why I decided to release it on my own.

I really love this cover!
Here's the synopsis:

A virus has spread across the country, infecting its victims and turning them into bloodthirsty monsters. Trained soldiers are dispatched to eliminate the threat, no matter how mild the infection seems.

Sophia, Isaac, and Reyes live on the run, scavenging what they can and staying away from both sides of the conflict. But all of that changes when one of them becomes infected.

As they struggle to find the rumored cure, the three friends begin to realize that the virus isn't what it seems, and that finding it may cost them more than they could ever imagine...


While Needfire was rejected for the anthology I sent it to, but like most rejections I've encountered, I couldn't let it go. I worked too hard and became too attached to it. Something about Sophia, Isaac, and Reyes story stuck with me, and I wanted it out in the world. I love vampire stories, so I wanted to tell one about surviving through perilous times, how it can't be done alone, and that the support of a friend means just as much as finding your own strength and standing your ground.

This story is a little darker and more dramatic than some of my other work (and there's significantly less snark), but I loved writing it because it was more or less unfamiliar territory. I made a gritty world and tried new aspects of the vampire virus, hopefully bringing a new perspective for readers of the urban fantasy/YA genre.

Independently publishing Needfire will also mean that I gain experience in doing so. I have some other stories that I'll be looking to self-publish, and this will give me a chance to learn from any mistakes I make. So far, I have been learning. I know who to market for, where to publish the novella, how to work with editors and cover artists, and what I can expect upon release.

I'm not imaging Needfire will change the world or be an explosive success. I mean, if that happens, hooray, but I've put a lot into it, and my reward will be knowing that someone will buy it, read it, and likely enjoy it. Really, what more can I ask for?

Needfire will be released August 19 on Kobo and Kindle for sure, and hopefully some other websites. It will be an e-book exclusive. I'm ecstatic about the release of this story, and am confident that others will enjoy it as much as I did writing it.

Cheers,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment