Saturday 31 May 2014

Hollow Hill Chapters 12 and 13

We're getting close to the grand finale! I love driving up the tension and exhausting the characters to make their final battle all the more challenging.

In chapter 12, Derek and Liam decide to take up new power as the heirs of Ares, and go on the hunt for Selena and her captors.

In chapter 13, Derek and Liam face off against Lilith's traps, and Derek learns just how powerful his new abilities and weapon can be.

- - -


- - -

Derek and Liam could never be typical scions. I intended them to be stronger in almost every aspect, and that meant making them demi-gods. I've always been interested in the concept of what it would be like to be the child of two powerful gods, and this seemed like the perfect time to reiterate how strong they are. My first intention was to give Derek the sword of Ares, until I remembered that every image I've ever seen of Ares has been one of him holding a spear. Didn't seem right to give him a sword after making him the heir of Ares.

Chapter 13 was simple and pure fun to write. One of my favorite parts about writing Hollow Hill and the Areios Brothers in general is that all my research involves looking up monsters, re-reading some of my favorite stories, and looking at art to see how others have interpenetrated famous monsters. The fight with Derek and the Manticore was my favorite. I put a lot of work into it because Manticore's are one of the coolest mythological monsters ever. What can be more terrifying than a lion with a scorpion tail? Not much. Derek's powers were always meant to be astonishing and absolutely lethal because that's what Ares is. When he's put in a corner and forced to fight out of desperation, Derek only battles harder. It's one of the things I love about him. I always push him to the limit, just to see how far he can go.

Next month I'll be posting the final chapters of Hollow Hill. I say final, but anyone who's read my other posts knows that it won't be the final product. But it's nice to have it out here, letting other people know that it's coming. You get an inside look into my head and see the madness going on, and hopefully you'll be excited for the final, final story. I know I am.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment