Thursday 10 April 2014

Five Years...

I'm part of a fantastic writing group called GIAM, which is a small community for female authors. We support each other and post daily progress, and it has been a huge help for me. One of the authors asked me where I wanted to be in five years. I never really thought about the Five Year Question to be honest, since I didn't start committing myself to make writing into a career until a couple years ago. There are a lot of answers to that question, and it would take a while for me to really lay out a concrete plan since, you know, life, but here's what I came up with:

1. First and foremost, I want to be a legitimate published author. Self-published or agency based, it doesn't matter. Whatever will get my name out there and have people buying my books. I was in Chapters recently, my favorite bookstore, and all I could think was "I would do anything to see my book in Chapters."

2. I want to have my Cursed trilogy completed and published. I've been working on it for a long time and now that I finally know what direction to take it, I want it to be finished and out there to be read. I'm working on the sequel again and it's going great. Hopefully this goal will take a couple years instead of five.

3. Have another series completed and on its way to publishing/published. I don't know which one this would be, but it would be nice to have more out there. I'm a fast writer so it isn't that I wouldn't get the words. Having it 100% edited and finished is another story, of course. But I'm nothing if not determined.

A few days ago, I was reading an article on Veronica Roth and her story Divergent. She's about my age and already published. That's awesome for her but it made me a little jealous. I can't turn back the clock and make different choices because I wasn't aware how happy writing made me until I was spending all day doing it, but at least it's proof that if she can do it, so can I.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment