Thursday 31 October 2013

Montly Goals: November

Well I've been yammering on about it, but as you probably guessed, November is National Novel Writing Month. This is my first year participating and I'm probably getting in way over my head. Traveling to my new job is a little hellish and affords me a lot of spare time, so I'll be bringing my laptop with me so I can sneak in at least an extra 1.5 hrs of writing before work on during my lunch break.

My project for NaNo is a new story called Hollow Hill. I've done a bunch of shorts on it for the last few 500 Word Challenges to better get into the mindset of my main characters and the world they live in. The synopsis for the story is:

Derek Areios and his brother Liam aren't your average witch hunters- mostly because they're witches themselves. But the Neo Inquisition employs them for three reasons: They can do the jobs no one else can do, they're good at what they do, and they stopped their psychotic father from destroying the world.

Their lives get even more difficult when beautiful, mysterious Selena Kynthian shows up at their door, begging for their help. She's seen the rise of a powerful new witch named Lilith, and is desperate to escape now that an infamous witch hunter called The Mercenary is after her.

But as Derek and Liam struggle to find out what Selena knows, they soon realize that the danger is beginning to hit too close to home, and that their past might not be finished with them yet... 


I'm super excited to start. This story literally came out of nowhere– it wasn't a lingering idea or a twist on something else I was currently doing. It's brand new, and I gotta say, the testing I've been doing so far has been a lot of fun.

November will be all Hollow Hill, so I'll be posting updates on word counts and you can watch my progress on my NaNo profile. In the end, I'll be posting the story on the blog. Whether or not I take it from there to publishing will depend on how happy I am with it and how well received it is. Still, I like being optimistic, and if nothing else, I'll learn from the experience and have a lot of fun.

So if there aren't as many posts in the next few days and weeks, it will be because I'm focusing on writing Hollow Hill. 50,000 is a big number, and I still don't know if I've grasped how big it is yet. Wish me luck!


Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment