Saturday 27 February 2016

Review: Bad Timing

What's more entertaining than a story with vampires? A story with vampires, zombies, and a kick ass heroine. I recently had author Nicky Peacock on the blog for an author spotlight and an interview, just as she helped with a Crimson Sky spotlight. I also offered to review her new novel Bad Timing, the second in her Battle of the Undead series. The book was quick and fun, and while I think the story could have been extended, the stakes were definitely raised (no pun originally intended... though now I'm enjoying it), and there were some twists I didn't see coming.

Super badass cover featuring a sexy heroine! 
“You know now that monsters are real. Whether they have recently risen to reach for your flesh, or have chosen now to step from the shadows; you are surrounded by them. You also know that I am one too, but I’m all you’ve got and time is running out…” 

There’s no rest for the wicked, especially in a zombie apocalypse. Britannia has used every vampire skill at her disposal to keep those she cares for safe, but with old enemies and unseen adversaries moving against her, she will have to push herself to both her physical and ethical limits to survive. Britannia is changing, but will it be for the better? 


***

I like stories that bring me headfirst into the action and keep me there, and Bad Timing certainly excelled at that. The book picks up where its predecessor, Bad Blood left off, and immediately plunges main character Britannia into the plight of humans desperately trying to survive the zombie apocalypse. From there, she begins an adventure that brings her across the paths of old and new enemies, while her friends rush to keep up and help her.

Rushed is actually a good way to describe this book. Don't get me wrong– I love fast paced action novels. I write them all the time. But it seemed like we were hopping from one revelation to the next at times without the characters having a chance to breathe and fully react to whatever dangers or shocking discovery was unveiled. Without giving away spoilers, there were two MAJOR twists that I didn't see coming, but it was like the action carried the rest of the story away before any of my questions were answered. And trust me, there were a lot. I was hoping for a great deal more character development and growth here, which at times I would have preferred over the action.

While not as deep as I was hoping, Britannia was certainly badass. A tough woman who doesn't take crap from anyone, will do anything necessary, and is more than capable of holding her own in a fight, she's all kinds of fun. I almost wish the action scenes themselves were a little more detailed so I could fully understand the way she moved.

I also wanted a better villain. That isn't to say I didn't get one– he was there, and I was certain he was going to serious trouble for Brit and her friends, but when he met his end, all I could do was frown and think, "Oh."

So, did I have fun reading Bad Timing? Yes. It moved at a breakneck pace, but I was invested enough that I really did want to know where the story went next, and how the characters were going to fight their way free from undead hordes and unsuspecting traps. There are more books planned for the series, as Nicky mentioned in her interview, and I look forward to seeing where the final twist will lead.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment