Saturday 7 November 2015

Sunday Snippet: "They're almost here..."

NaNoWriMo has officially started, and I am killing it. At time of posting, I've written 18,285 words for my new standalone novel, Storm Born. I haven't even got to the big fight scenes yet, and I'm already in love with this story. I really can't wait to see where it goes, and I'm super excited to share the first 10 sentences from Chapter 1 for my Weekend Writing Warriors 8Sunday snippet:

“They’re almost here,” my father said.
I watched the heavy storm front dragging over the violently churning ocean. It towered over the houses and shelters, a menacing wall of pitch black cloud. The darkness beyond it seemed endless, like the horizon was being swallowed up by a black hole that would smother the entire sky.
So much for this summer’s tan, I thought to myself.
Light cracked through the windows of the house. I jumped and looked up through the glass panes. The flashes weren’t lightning, though the rain was falling heavily onto the roof of our house. Gusts of wind pummeled the streets, pushing the palm trees so hard I was certain they would bend in half.
           We’d proofed it as much as we could for the Centennial, but it wouldn’t be enough. 

I'm just about to get into the supernatural element of the story, which I'm really looking forward to. I don't even know what my mysterious stranger is capable of yet, but I can't wait to find out. Speaking of supernatural, Dark Divinity now has some goodies to go along with its preorder! Thanks to Deranged Doctor Designs and Vistaprint, I now have bookmarks and postcards! I have lots that will be going out to select reviewers and awarded in giveaways, which I'll hopefully be setting up soon (oh, Monday– which is my Saturday– you cannot come soon enough).

Bookmarks!
Postcards!
Pretty cool, huh? It's times like this where I kind of step out of my body and think, "Holy crap. I'm actually doing this!"Needless to say, I'm getting the hang of it, and it can only go up from here, right?

I'm not sure when Storm Born will be officially released (I'm shooting for May 2016), but I'm hoping that by the time the spring rolls around, I'll be able to have a lot more promotions where I can give stuff like this away. I like doing giveaways and signings! It's fantastic fun!

Anyway, that's my entry for 8Sunday! I'll be posting more from Chapter 1 of Storm Born until the end of the month (while simultaneously doing promotional work for Dark Divinity, because I'm nothing if not a multi-tasker), but if you're impatient and want to read more, feel free to do so here! I'm hoping all my fellow WeWriWa authors and NaNoWriMo participants are having as much fun as I am! Cheers!

Amy

17 comments:

  1. What a killer beginning! Can't wait to read more of this.

    PS. I start reading Dark Divinity tonight. Really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the swag, Amy. One part of your 10 sentences made me smile, the bit about the palm trees. It's November, and Canadians' thoughts turn to palm trees. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they ever... Granted, it's not -40C yet, but I feel like we're getting the calm before the storm/deep freeze. Maybe that means it's appropriate for the story I'm writing now. ;)

      Delete
  3. Well done on the progress Amy!
    Brillant description of the storm, I could taste and smell it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad the scene invoked your senses!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful descriptions, Amy, and congrats on your Nano progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! That sounds like a crazy storm. Time to run for cover. Congrats on the Nano count:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And to think– that's just the beginning! ;)

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I like the atmosphere you conveyed here. A very dark and stormy night :D.

    And w00t on your NaNo wordcount! I've fallen a wee bit behind on mine, but hopefully will catch up now that I'm feeling better and not coughing so much XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I'm glad you're feeling better. :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your great start to NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific beginning for a story, with all the hints of mystery. I definitely want to keep reading right away! Great snippet...(loved the bookmarks BTW.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I'm kind of in love with them myself. ;)

      Delete
  9. Love the description! It makes me want to close all the windows and stay inside where it's safe.

    Congrats on your kick-@ss word count!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always good to hear, and thank you!

      Delete